Thursday, February 3, 2011

Number Seven.(København).

I have been putting off this moment. When I come to my blog and write about the incredible trip I have recently returned from. A trip that I documented extensively in writing - filling up half a Moleskine in a mere 11 day trek. My plan was to go through each day and give a summary of the best moments...a person we met or something we saw that made it's way in to my journal because it was worth remembering. And, I still fully intend on going through with this plan, but it's hard to rewrite something that has come and gone, when all you want is for it to continue. However, as defeated as that may sound, I remind myself that I AM IN SWEDEN and that is very far away from anything that I would qualify as 'normal' about my life. So, in actuality, the vacation is only half over.

BRING IT ON, EUROPE


˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚


So we'll start from Copenhagen, where I met Corey on my twenty-sixth birthday (a champagne birthday, at that). I took the bus from Gothenburg early that day and arrived at the København aiport just in time to wait the longest 3 hours of my life until Corey's flight got in. I sat at the Burger King (there are millions of them in Scandinavia) and wrote my Grandmother a 'thank you' letter that I can honestly say was from the bottom of my heart. I recommend writing letters to Grandparents when you are emotional, anxious and in an airport; the gratitude really comes across. Anyway, Corey's flight arrived on time but it took him another HOUR to get his bags and walk through the arrival gate, at which point I thought I was going to piss my pants from both anticipation and too much coffee. It was almost too much to bear, but I did it, and when we finally got to that long awaited hug, nothing in the world could have felt better. For months I had been far from the arms of comfort, familiarity, love and home. I knew I missed it but I didn't realize how good it would feel to have it back, and Corey brought it all in 2 one meter long appendages.

The next two-and-a-half days were filled with wandering, meandering, perusing and cruising. We met Jamal, an Algerian who ran a small cafe in Christiania called Cafe CoCo and took a special liking to us Canadians. Corey and I laughed as Jamal stressed over the concept of having over 2 customers in his establishment. Within only a couple minutes he had Corey running dishes to the sink and once done with his clientele, gave me the remote to the TV and told me to stand guard has he went to take a 10 minute hash break. We spoke French with him, and learned that he moved to Copenhagen for its liberal mentality and fleet of beautiful Danish women. And it's true - they are beautiful.

Basically, if you're going to Copenhagen you need to make sure that you spend at least half your time in this area I have already mentioned: Christiania. This area also harbors a small utopic 'shanty-town' community known as Freetown. There are beautiful homes made from bits and pieces of everything, horses, fires in garbage cans, graffiti, cheap food, cheap beer, 'vendors', music, laughter and the faint yet constant aroma of hash floating in the air. It is a car free zone that is full of bikes, art and cafes. There is also 'Nemoland'. Here Corey and I found the best food in all of town. So good we even tried going back the next day, from way on the other side of the city, only to find it was closed. This is the sole reason why I need to go back.

Me drinking 'Probably The Best Beer In Town' at Nemoland.
 
  
Some graffiti and a philosophy in Freetown.


Our last night there we bunked with a courier guy named Martin whom I met through CouchSurfing. He was so sweet, and although quite shy at first, warmed up after a couple of 'beers'. He even gave up his bed for us and opted to sleep on a cot. It was kinda interesting to notice that Corey and him shared similar features: square dark-framed glasses, dark hair, pointy nose, tall... and a total music nerd. In fact, Martin had a 'copy&paste' checklist of his musical recommendations ready for us, which he promptly sent to Corey after hearing that they shared this mutual love. And, as I write this I am only now realizing the name thing - Corey&Martin (if there is a chance that anyone reads this blog, and a chance that person doesn't know Corey, FYI his last name is Martin). Yeah. Whoa.

Anyway, after more wandering and cruising, Corey and I end up at the neighborhood bar where there are old drunk men lining the counter and a group of twenty-sumthin's in the back corner, too drunk for their age (but we always are). Best of all, there's a FREE JUKEBOX with tons of 80s and 90s classics. An old man sipping on a pint puts on Aneka's, 'Japanese Boy', which is unfortunately followed by the young drunk-girl's pick of Aqua's 'Barbie Girl' (sorry, providing a link just ain't worth it). I believe Corey and I managed to slip Dolly Parton's 'Jolene' in there at some point, which seemed to satisfy the whole entire bar equally. Well done (pat on the back) guys. 4 whiskeys and 4 pints later we are feeling good enough to believe we can actually sleep. Plus, Berlin is awaiting us so it's best to get rested up for another one of those cities that never sleep.

 On the Jukebox behind Corey: Aneka's biggest fan in Denmark.


More storytelling to come.

1 comment:

  1. "The Best Beer In Town" in Nemoland is a Carlsberg?! I'm not sure, but I think that's sad...especially coupled with the notion that there are tons of Burger Kings in Scandinavia. You'd think there'd be a few good microbreweries in Denmark, wouldn't you?

    The "Corey & Martin" coincidence is quite interesting, especially in light of the similarities of look & interest (Was this equally curious to you, Corey?). And was Martin's last name Corey? Ha! If so...sounds like the start of a good Twilight Zone episode.

    Look forward to more Tales of Winter Daze...

    ReplyDelete